Sunday 21 May 2017

A Cracking Time

We've been waiting for spring to arrive and the chance to get out and about riding down our beautiful local cycle routes for weeks now but, being fair weather cyclists, a Goldilocks day with the weather being "just right" has still failed to materialise - maybe this week will see that combination of sunshine and no wind that will stir us to action. 

We've kept going to the exercise classes to keep up the fitness and we've had plenty more to keep us busy. 



Last Saturday, Spadge and his team from Slice Of Life Fram pulled yet another rabbit out of the hat to treat Framlingham residents to an incredible evening of poetry performed by angry young man Luke Wright. How Slice Of Life manages to keep punching so much above our little town's weight is beyond me. Here, in a little youth club, on a Saturday night, was a star who could easily fill one of the top spots at the Edinburgh Fringe - performing- just for us. Luke's poetry was exceptional and deserving of the rapturous applause he received.

Wednesday saw us up and dressed at five in the morning to head down to Rochester for a spot of babysitting. We stopped outside Paul's house to take some things in and when I got back five minutes later the windscreen had a huge crack.
   

I know this sort of thing happens but, after two punctures and a smashed windscreen, 2017 hasn't been our best year for motoring.



While in Rochester we got an invite to the social event of the year - can't wait.



You'll start to think I'm making this up but I'm not. I've been buying and selling a bit on eBay while I'm promoting my new novel (about buying on eBay) and I spotted a nice Japanese bowl for a few pounds last week. Here's how it arrived. This is the fourth smashed item in a few weeks. I get my money back every time but it's such a disappointment.





Not every buy has been a disaster and this lovely Copeland majolica shell spoon warmer and amazing Staffordshire house (both mid to late 19th century) turned up beautifully packed.

As for the novel, I'm really pleased with the reviews that I am getting. After the excellent John Winter (that's his blog over there on the right of this page) blogged about the book, I saw a jump in sales - thank you John. And in the last few day these two reviews popped up. 





I love the thought that somebody enjoyed my book enough to slow down and savour it.


I had another go testing the new detector yesterday, I only found a couple of musket balls, a few buttons and some scrap but did find this tiny item. It is solid silver and quite crudely cast. There's a good chance that under the Treasure Act rules it might class as treasure as my guess is that it is either a medieval - early post medieval eyelet or part of an early medieval pin. My local Finds Liaison Officer will know best. He's on holiday for a couple of weeks - I'll let you know what he says.



We're having a lazy weekend. We went to The Queen at Brandeston for breakfast this morning. I don't normally photograph food in restaurants anymore (it's a bit 2015) but I had to make an exception today as the breakfast was exceptional - absolutely delicious and a bargain at £8. We'll certainly be back.


After breakfast we popped into Framlingham for another event organised by Spadge (the man gets everywhere). It was great to see so many people watching and joining in the go cart racing down Market Hill - great stuff. Time to watch the match now and see if Liverpool will get back into The Champions League.











No comments: